Happy Easter. We hosted a smaller scale family gathering here and spent much of yesterday cleaning and preparing for that. I made this vegan carrot cake recipe, but switched out the frosting with Miss Jones Vanilla Vegan Frosting I found at Sprouts since we could not use the cashew based option in the recipe with nut allergies. The frosting worked great with the cake and was a hit, I liked that it was not too sweet. And this vegan holiday glazed “ham” recipe which was a hit last year and came out even better this year with the glaze and cloves added.
Dasher, my mom’s dog, is finally back home after having him stay with us for nearly 3 weeks while she recovered from hip replacement surgery. While we miss him, meal times are easier and the backyard will be easier to clean up, haha. I think Miko misses his friend, but is happy to get all the attention to himself again.
The full moon this week was gorgeous for evening dog walks and running has been going okay this week. But I am still recovering from taking antibiotics for a week I think because my digestive system has not been happy no matter what I eat it seems and energy lacking. I’ve read it can take up to 6 months for the gut biome to restore itself, yikes! Still it was great to get out for a run this morning, the weather was gorgeous after many days of rain and overcast skies.
Other eats included vegan chili served in steamed spaghetti squash which made a great combo.
Also Explore Asian Soybean Spaghetti in kicky miso soup with sriracha sauce. And plenty of salad.
I have been using up Lightlife products from a recent Grocery Outlet haul and used Lightlife Savory Chick’n Smart Tenders in place of tofu for a simple stir fry that came out great, the texture is hearty and held together beautifully in a wok.
Hubby and I got to our favorite lunch spot this week, Pho Vegan Asian Cuisine, where the Kung Pao “Chicken” did not disappoint.
And to a favorite local Thai restaurant for spicy tofu dishes.
We had a board meeting for the Sacramento Vegetarian Society at Vegan Plate Saturday where I tried their vegan shrimp with walnuts, rice, and tasty coconut sauce.
It was tasty and I am thankful to have so many great vegan dine out options in this area and they seem to keep growing. And I’m also wiped after a loaded, but fun weekend and hopefully ready for Monday! But first the list.
- Mmmm, lots of vegan cake recipes.
- Succeeding as a vegan athlete.
- 7 products to help go plastic free.
- Most vegan-friendly cities in the world.
- Love this new vegan fashion label.
- Vegan body builder attacks trolls back.
- Watermelon season is nearly here! And here are some great recipes for it.
- This is a great guide for dealing with stress.
- Because high stress is very bad for health.
- Vegan fast food options growing.
- Re-purposing ocean pollution into vegan carpeting. I love it.
- Move vegan show options. I just hope they come in my size.
- Athlete Chris Smalling on why he’s vegan.
- 7 reasons to go vegan.
- Dairy farmer acknowledges vegan demand.