This weekend flew by, I could use another day or two off I think! But it’s been a good and productive weekend with sweet Miko getting in more cuddle time.
And gorgeous weather today after two more days of rain. But I’m not complaining about the rain after last summer! I am getting excited about taking on more garden projects here now that it’s officially spring, I have an aggressive goal to turn a large section of our backyard into a garden instead of garden beds since we haven’t done much with it.
It was a busy week at work, so I kept things simple and healthy at home with tofu stir fries, salads, and lots of veggies.
Friday night we stepped out for Thai food where I tried a new, spicy tofu soup that was delicious and hit the spot on a chilly, rainy night.
I threw together an interesting chickpea potato saute with a kicky curry tomato sauce thickened with peanut powder. It was delicious.
This morning I braved the chilly temps in the low 40s for an early 4-mile run where I took it slow to enjoy the grazing goats and wildlife on the trails.
Before making cheesy vegan grits for breakfast and heading into Sacramento for another Sacramento Vegetarian Society board meeting I got to run this time. We’re focusing on revving up planning for SacTown VegFest early to increase vendors and sponsors to cover the larger venue costs and it’s exciting to think how much it could grow for next year. Also trying to plan more vegan social events to keep the vegan community close and support local vegan restaurants serving great vegan options.
After the meeting, I met my sister for lunch, then took empty laundry detergent, shampoo, and conditioner containers to Refill Madness to try their service for the first time.
I can’t say it was a lot cheaper compared to the costs of the bottles filled, but I opted to try the higher end shampoo and conditioner for my naturally curly hair and it was a pretty cool service. They weigh the empty bottle for the tare amount and refill them with the product of your choice, weigh again, label the bottles, and charge you. And I’m excited to see stores like this and hope one pops up closer to me soon.
When I got home, Miko and I worked on the meeting minutes report while hubby made a great, thin crust pizza with Miyoko’s Vegan Mozz, sliced Gardein Meatless Meatballs, mushrooms, and Sprouts Organic Pizza Sauce.
The pizza was delicious! And hubby, who is very picky about vegan cheese, especially on pizza, loved the Vegan Mozz for the flavor and texture. It melted perfectly and was the closest to mozz he’s tried so far. It’s not cheap at all, but worth it for an occasional treat.
And running this week has been going slowly with the weather and allergies. It did get 4 runs in, but would like to start working on distance more as the weather warms up.
Boo on tomorrow being Monday, but hopefully it will be a good week for everyone!
- Vegans are on the right side. Just a happy opinion on the vegan movement.
- Now Whole Foods has their own brand of vegan cheese. Very cool, love more dairy free options.
- Lots of vegan recipes to celebrate spring. Now we just need some spring weather here, haha.
- Vegan candy bar recipes. These look like fun projects with kids.
- About time, Chick-fil-A.
- Another article on reducing plastic use. I know, but it’s important since recycling sucks today and another dead whale washed up full of plastic this week.
- I love the Youth Climate Strike.
- Can we get a vegan cheese shop in Sacramento too?
- VegNews’ vegan tour of Paris is a vacation dream come true.
- Best new vegan products coming this year. Yum.
- 3 more vegan celebrities.
- Vegan Easter treats. Wow, that time of year already?
- Vegans get drunk and talk about why they went vegan. It’s cute.
- More Gardein products to try. Hubby will be all over these!
- And these vegan mac n’ cheese options!
- Vegan Tuna at Walmart is progress.
- The best chocolate chip cookie recipe is vegan.
- Viral vegan recipes for this week. Gotta try watermelon sushi.