Miko has his favorite toy back, all is right in the world.
Leela is not so much into toys, but she has been into raw broccoli lately and comes running to the kitchen as soon as I start chopping it.
I’ve mentioned this chopper before, but the Zyliss Easy Pull Chopper is just awesome for a fast weeknight meal.
I used it for this scramble recipe to chop onions, raw broccoli, and red bell pepper quickly to steam and saute.
It chops veggies with a couple of fast pulls and makes them super simple to blend into grains, beans, soups, etc. It’s so easy it’s fun even after a long work day.
And only has three parts that are also simple to wash. I love my huge food processor, but it can be a drag to break out on a weeknight.
Broccoli is what inspired this recipe, I wanted something simple, fun, but still loaded with veggies and oil free. But when I searched for the most popular broccoli recipes, I was floored at the highest rated hits. I saw loads of casseroles, soups, baked pasta dishes, etc. that buried broccoli in processed “cream of….” soups, cream, butter, flour, cheese, breadcrumbs, and oil. Lots of comfort food recipes for sure! And maybe this recipe is partially a comfort food too, sure. But it only has one processed ingredient, is oil free, and a heaping amount of veggies for a fun, comfort meal. For this recipe I used Follow Your Heart’s VeganEgg and it’s not something I use a lot, but it is fun for vegan scrambles.
Vegan Veggie Scramble
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small or half large onion, chopped
- 4 “eggs” worth of VeganEgg mixed in a bowl
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 4 tbsp. of water, or as needed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat water, pepper, onion, and broccoli in a pan over medium high heat covered to steam and soften for about 10 minutes.
- Pour in VeganEgg mixture and add salt and pepper.
- Stir until VeganEgg is fluffy to desired texture, about 7 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy! Makes 2 servings and can be served topped with vegan cheese, nutritional yeast, ketchup, or vegan sour cream.
The VeganEgg mixture fluffed up fast and coated all the veggies nicely.
I went with Follow Your Heart’s Vegan Gourmet Shreds for a topping.
And had a fun and filling dinner.
For a low-calorie egg substitute mixture loaded with oil free veggies, this dish was very satisfying and hearty since the veggies were not over cooked and still had a nice crunch.
Have a fun comfort recipe once in awhile, but it can be loaded with veggies and still be fun!