Wow, this weekend flew by too fast. But it’s been a fun weekend with some decadent eating and fun in the vegan community. I tried to keep eats healthier and whole food plant based at home during the week with oil free roasted potatoes and butternut squash soup, veggie tofu stir fries, and curried potato saute with corn and chickpeas for a delicious meal.
Running has been just going, I’ve been getting runs in mostly at the gym, but dragging a bit pace-wise with the weather and sinus challenges. This mornings run outside was great in the cooler, overcast weather.
We had a great lunch Friday at Pho Vegan Asian Cuisine of the vegan shrimp and tofu green bean dish with brown rice.
Friday night hubby and I made it to Brickyard for their vegan Beyond Burger for a fun date. They removed the vegan burger option from the menu swapping it to veganizing any burger on the menu with a Beyond Meat patty, vegan cheese, and vegan mayo which is kind of nice bringing in more options.
Saturday I headed to Zest Kitchen for the birthday party of a very special friend, Linda Middlesworth, who is very passionate and active in the vegan community hosting large vegan health and animal rescue events. Would you believe she is 75 years old? Still teaches fitness classes and still very active and passionate about what she does.
Yes, she looks great, but what impresses me is that she acts and moves around like an energetic teenager and is so brave when it comes to speaking her mind and speaking out for animal welfare. And there was a huge amount of oil-free vegan cakes at the party, yum!
Today I headed to the Sacramento Natural Foods Co-Op for the Sacramento Vegetarian Society Board Meeting and VegFest de-briefing. We talked for over 2 hours about last month’s SacTown VegFest, updating websites, planning more events for this year, finances, etc. And I snacked on Vegan Sushi from the Co-Op since it was a lunch time meeting that was okay.
There is a cool little shop near the Co-Op called Refill Madness that I have been meaning to check out for awhile. Basically you can take any existing plastic container you have for shampoo, conditioner, lotion, laundry detergent, etc. and have them refill it instead of buying another disposable plastic bottle.
I love the selection of eco-friendly products and that it’s next the Co-Op and Revolution Wines since they have a great vegan menu. Looks like we’ll need to be making more trips there soon because this shop is perfect for my reducing waste goal and hopefully saving a lot of money too.
Okay, to the list and it’s been an active week in vegan news!
- More people over 60 are going vegan. This is interesting to me and we have a lot of older vegans in the local vegan community which is great. It’s never too late to make a positive change.
- Ne-Yo says going vegan is one of the best things he’s ever done. Love his comments on the What the Health documentary, so true.
- The Sacramento Vegan Chef Challenge is expanding! How cool is that? A new site, Vegan Chef Challenge, was just launched to help local communities start their own challenges and find where they’re happening.
- What’s in Kevin Smith’s fridge since going vegan.
- World leaders should go vegan. Interesting article about the reaction, or lack there of, to climate change.
- Seems like more celebrities are investing in plant based products. And I love it.
- Veganism is a positive way to celebrate life according to this author.
- Vegan soup recipes to make through the rest of winter. Supposed to be another gray and rainy week here and these look perfect.
- This is a very interesting study on gut hormones, diabetes, and a vegan diet.
- Love this singers views on veganism and bravery.
- I’m curious to try this new plant based “tuna”.
- And IKEA’s vegan “caviar”, how cool is that?
Where to start… So much information and good looking food!
First, that tofu looks AMAZING! Like it’s 7:25am here and I want to eat it… Now.
Second, I love that little stores like Refill Madness are opening everywhere. It gives me hope for te future. There’s a newish store near me as well (Montreal), entirely waste-free. Just walking in there makes me feel great.
IKEA vegan caviar?! I think a trip there is required ASAP… lol
Have a great week!
Thanks, the tofu dish was awesome. Me too on the store and I hope one opens closer to me soon, but happy to make a trip that that one. :-)
Yes on IKEA, I still have not tried their veggie dog. Soon!
You too, happy Monday!
I’m trying to eliminate oils, too! It’s hard. At least cut down. Your running schedule always amazes me, too cold here to run outside for me, but lots of people do it. That butternut squash soup looks amazing!
Very hard, it’s easy at home, but very tough for eating out. Thanks on running, I’m not great in tricky weather here but a lot people do it. Thanks on the soup, it was perfect for the rainy weather.
Linda from Veganosity says
The lady in the purple is 75?!!!! WOW! Makes me so happy that I’m vegan. ;)
Yes she is! And very passionate about a whole foods plant based diet. So much so she runs a successful Get Healthy Sacramento event that sells out every year.