One of my goals for 2019 is to reduce my disposable plastic use and trash in general and have been spending a lot of time on the Zero Waste Subreddit It’s not easy with personal care items and so much food coming in plastic! So it’s been baby steps switching to shampoo bars, trying alternative conditioners, re-usable freezer bags, etc.
I recently made a huge step trying the Diva Cup. That time sucks, right? And I really hate using disposable pads. But have not been brave enough to try the re-usable pads, I’m getting anxiety now worrying about those leaking. Tampons just don’t work well for me and usually require changing with each trip to the bathroom because of my unique shape I guess.
The Diva Cup can be worn for up to 12 hours, 12 blissful, comfortable hours of not worrying about leaks and getting through a full day of work and maybe a trip to the gym after. And I am really a fan of it for the gym, no problems running and going through my usual weight routine. And no worries about not being, ugh, fresh down there when sweating which is huge for me.
There’s a little learning curve to using it, but the instructions make that simple. It’s actually pretty simple to clean and reuse, being near a sink is good. I get it’s not for everyone, I had a fun and awkward conversation with my mom trying to explain the concept of it. But worth a try if you don’t have a problem using a product like this and curious about a hassle free and less wasteful period.
Did you have a good Valentine’s Day? We did, it was rainy, but sweet hubby had flowers ready for me in the morning and more at work – I’m so spoiled.
We headed to Hook & Ladder in Sacramento for Valentine’s dinner where the vegan menu did not disappoint.
I got the chickpea fritters and Mediterranean flatbread to share and he got the Impossible Burger. We finished with the vegan chocolate peanut butter fudge which was awesome.
Friday my mom and I went to Zest Kitchen for lunch where I tried their pancake special for a fun option and she went for the mushroom burger. Then we split the toasted hazelnut cheesecake so I have not been hurting for great vegan desserts this week!
Running has been going this week mostly at the gym with the weather. One day there was such a strong storm while I was at the gym my car was covered in hail and I was glad to have treadmill access!
With decadent eating out, I’ve been keeping it simple at home with oil free veggie stir fries like the delicious chickpea potato curry stir fry above.
We made a deal hunting trip to Grocery Outlet and found many vegan deals that were too tempting, BOGO on Daiya and Just Cookie Dough! I have not tried the cookie dough yet, but hubby says it’s delicious.
Since the weather was still iffy last night, we had Daiya pizza at home and watched Netflix shows. Not exciting, I know, but nice to decompress after a busy week. And the pizza was delicious.
This morning there was a break in the rain just long enough to get a run in even if Miko did not want to leave my warm lap.
It was cold! In the 40s, but felt much colder with the wind and moisture in the air. But the clouds and plentiful full ponds were gorgeous to see and the hot shower after felt amazing.
- This is a great list of worthwhile charities to donate items that do not spark joy.
- The importance of beans for lowering your resting heart rate.
- Cory Booker on eating meat and the planet. Kind of exciting to have a vegan presidential candidate who can shed more light on these issues.
- There’s a new vegan podcast, Switch4Good. Looking forward to adding to my gym rotation.
- Broad City stars dine on vegan wings.
- Warning signs you’re running too much. Not a problem for me currently, lol.
- LifeHacker addresses being a polite vegan. Nice article if you avoid the comments.
- How plant-based became vegan for the mainstream. Exploring new trends to combat the intense marketing of animal products.
- Snoop Dogg and vegan food, love it.
- Tips for getting into running. Fun ideas for long time runners to mix things up.
- This 83-year-old runner is an inspiration. I love the idea of being active and having energy to do what you want at any age.
- Preacher Lawson, I love him, makes perfect oatmeal.
- Great, but long interview with Travis Barker and his vegan lifestyle.
- So many great salad recipes to get back on track here.
- Vegan diet promotes good gut health.
- New movie showing veganism and religion connection coming soon. Looking forward to this one.
- This is a powerful commercial.