The weather is odd here, it’s not cold but it is cold … you know? Temps were in the 50s for my long run Sunday and it felt much colder thanks to the moisture and strong winds. I was really regretting not wearing running gloves by mile 6 when it became clear my hands weren’t going to warm up! But this weather is also a good opportunity to enjoy a few last fireplace evenings before spring officially arrives and the pups took advantage of that last night.
Thankfully the forecast is looking much better for Sunday’s half marathon – nothing like last year! And this next quinoa dish was nicely warming and comforting after a chilly day with creamy avocado, fresh basil, garlic, and hearty grains and beans.
Creamy Basil Quinoa One Pot Meal (Vegan, Oil Free, Gluten Free)
For the Quinoa
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 can of chickpeas (or bean/legume of choice)
- 1 cup chopped cauliflower (or veggies of choice, kale would be great too)
For the Sauce
- 1 ripe avocado, seeded and scooped
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 clove of garlic
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp. miso paste
- 2 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup water, as needed
- ground pepper to taste
- In a medium soup pot, bring quinoa to a boil over medium high heat.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place all ingredients for the sauce into a high speed blender and blend to a smooth and creamy texture.
- Stir chickpeas and cauliflower (or beans and veggies of choice) into soup pot and cover for about 10 minutes.
- Stir basil sauce into the mixture over low heat and cover for about 5-10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy, makes 4 servings.
Such a pretty green color, I guess this is my St. Patrick’s Day recipe. I added chopped sun dried tomatoes too for a little color and texture pop.
And it came out delicious, avocado based sauces can work well in cooked recipes.
It has a refreshing and bright basil flavor that isn’t over-powering or bitter. I sometimes shy away from working with fresh basil because it can be so strong.
Add comforting warmth to your day that’s also healthy with this recipe.