Happy Tuesday! Okay, I know, but at least it’s not Monday. Trying to come up with a hearty, healthy, and creative dinner after a long day is challenging to say the least. I wrote this recipe on a whim to create a simple, one pot meal and was barely feeling throwing it together after my long work day. But I’m glad I did because it was much easier than I thought and a hit with hubby. It has two of my favorite inexpensive pantry staples, quinoa and lentils, and packs a tangy garlic and ginger kick without oil. A very non-vegan-friendly broccoli beef recipe inspired this healthier, plant-based one pot meal.
Ginger Broccoli Quinoa and Lentils
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup lentils
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 2 tbsp. miso paste
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1″ thick chunk of fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp. of rice vinegar
- 2 cups water
- Place miso paste, garlic, ginger, rice vinegar, and water into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour mixture into a medium soup pot and add quinoa, lentils, and broccoli and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Simmer for about 20 minutes, or until loose liquid is absorbed, stirring frequently.
- Serve and enjoy. Makes 2-4 servings.
The recipe came together quick and the 20 minute simmer time gave me time to catch up on kitchen cleaning.
While Miko hung out hoping to provide his floor cleaning services.
The mixture has a lovely savory ginger smell.
I kept it simple serving with a steamed quarter of spaghetti squash for a hearty, plant-based meal.
And both hubby and I were really happy with this dish, it has a nice ginger and garlic flavor that was not too strong with a tangy and savory flavors in a nice, soft texture. The broccoli cooks into a soft texture with the quinoa and lentils making it almost creamy.
I also discovered that both Leela and Miko are gaga for simple steamed spaghetti squash, they love it!
Luckily it’s good for dogs too and we have a lot more in the garden!