I have started the journey of being more active in the vegan community and more social by getting the go ahead to arrange vegan meetups for the Sacramento Vegetarian Society. I have so many ideas turning in my head about fun things to arrange and tonight is our first meetup I arranged which is exciting, but…
We try to do at least one monthly social meetup and in the past those have been potlucks. But those are losing popularity because a lot of people, like me, don’t like potlucks. So we’re trying a restaurant meetup this month. I followed a strict procedure to arrange it contacting the restaurant to get a number on how large of a group they could handle and confirm special menu options like oil and gluten free. After setting the event up and limiting the RSVPs to not overload the place, another member copied it to Facebook not limiting the number of attendees. Then another local vegan group copied and re-posted the event. So we could end up with way more people than the restaurant can handle which is a little frustrating after carefully making sure that would not happen.
I’m happy to that there’s such a large vegan community that want to attend, that’s awesome. But changes will happen to avoid this stress in the future and tonight could either be fun or a sh*t show – haha, ugh.
Yesterday was the last of the rain and wind for awhile and the pups were perfectly happy to spend it snuggling in blankets.
After a lot of decadent eats last weekend and more in the future as I set out to interview more restaurants that participated in the Sacramento Vegan Chef Challenge, I have been trying to keep it clean and healthier during the week with huge salads and oil free stir fries.
And a simple chickpea and quinoa dish. Friday night we splurged more stepping out to Broderick where they have great vegan burger options and can veganize just about anything else on the menu.
I went with the house vegan veggie burger, as usual, because I love the smokey flavors in it.
Like a lot of runners, I have an interesting system for rotating my running shoes when the mileage gets up there on them – the older, higher mileage pair is used for shorter runs and weight training at the gym and a newer, low mileage pair is used for longer, outdoor runs and only running. My gym pair was getting up there with over 300 miles on them and I was starting to feel it, so time to bring in a new pair to the rotation. Not something I look forward to doing with my odd shaped feet. I have a wide toe box, but narrow heal so wide width shoes are too wide for my heal while a lot of medium width shoes are too narrow. I usually spend way too much time reading reviews on Zappos trying to figure out which shoes will work for me. This time I’m back to Brooks with the Glycerin 17s in medium width.
I took them on an easy 5.4 mile outdoor run this morning to break in.
So far so good! They feel more true to size than the last generation so I didn’t need to go a full size larger, and have a lot more room in the toe box. I am relieved the search is over for now.
And it was a gorgeous run with actual spring weather! I saw the pair of swans again, more geese, and clear and crisp air.
There have been a lot of treadmill runs this week too with the windy, wet weather. I have been a little obsessed with Dax Shepard’s podcast, Armchair Expert, for the gym and outdoor runs. I just discovered it and like the range of guests and how he does not hold back at asking questions about race, etc. that I’d cringe at. The episodes are long at over 2 hours, but good to listen to in stages.
Okay, to the list since I need to start getting ready for tonight!
- 17 plant-based Instant Pot Recipes. More inspiration to have fum with your Instant Pot.
- 11 healthy vegan potato recipes. Because I love potatoes!
- Running for your mental health. Yes, something I’ve been focusing on more instead of competitive running to work through issues and have that feeling of accomplishment.
- Running speed hacks. Something I need since I’d like to get more into racing.
- Running to fight addiction. This is great.
- More vegan options from Chipotle. Great news!
- Morningstar Farms going all vegan too. Also great news!
- I want to see Game Changers so bad.
- How to zero waste grocery shop. I’m working on this and mastering taking our reusable produce/bulk foods bags now.
- Multiple stories of living the vegan life. Love views of different vegans here.
- This vegan debates animal farmers online and has learned a lot. Whew, that’s brave and makes an interesting read.
- Don’t through your old clothes in the trash, what to do instead. LifeHacker has been posting a lot on zero waste and recycling and I’m shocked to learn how broken recycling is in this country currently.