Day 4 of my smoothie experiment and things are going well. I’ve been alternating between the two protein powers currently in my pantry – Manitoba Harvest’s Dark Chocolate Hemp Protein and Olympian Labs Vanilla Pea Protein. The hemp protein only has 9 grams of protein per serving, but also a lot of fiber while the pea protein has 25 grams of protein and no fiber.
Because the hemp protein has so much fiber, I typically pair it with low-fiber fruits in smoothies and created an awesome winner for breakfast this morning with it.
Chocolate hemp protein, a frozen banana, two pitted medjool dates, a carrot, spinach, and 2 tablespoons of cacao powder. It was a sweet, chocolaty and decadent treat probably because banana and chocolate are two of my favorite flavors together. I could have been super decadent and added almond butter, but resisted temptation. :-)
For lunch I went with vanilla pea protein and added fiber-loaded frozen blueberries, apple, sprouts, two pitted dates, another carrot and red cabbage to create a gorgeous purple smoothie.
It was also excellent, the vanilla pea protein is surprisingly sweet and has a strong vanilla flavor compared to vanilla Sun Warrior protein and went nicely with the blueberries.
The last four days on this smoothie experiment have been interesting. The pros I noticed:
- Except for being sick on Monday, I had a lot of energy and buzzed around my house tackling projects, hitting the gym, and burning through chores.
- I didn’t feel as hungry or empty as I worried I would, but good – not bloated or weighed down by a heavy meal.
- I saved a lot of time making fast smoothies for meals versus making a mess of my kitchen with elaborate meals – but those are nice too. :-)
- I missed heartier foods, especially around dinner time.
- It was challenging using up all the veggies in my fridge when I’m just making single serving smoothies, not a 4-serving meal with leftovers.
I think this is something I’ll do regularly as my version of a cleanse to have a few nutrient-dense days, give my digestive system a rest, and refocus on what ingredients I’m using.
I ended up freezing some fruits and veggies today for smoothies since I got a huge farm box.
Packed with romaine lettuce, broccoli, green peppers, oranges, apples, little potatoes, strawberries, avocados, fava beans, radishes, and something new – Royal Trumpet Mushrooms.
They’re beautiful and huge!
I’ve never worked with them before. Have you? Do you like them?