Whew, where did this weekend go? We’re still looking into a replacement mattress and have not bought anything yet and will probably resume the search next weekend. This weekend was lots of birthday fun for me and laziness for the pups in the heat.
In some ways I still have not wrapped my mind around being 40-something, I don’t feel like a 40-something adult most times which I guess is a good thing. I took a couple of days off work for a long birthday weekend and I did a lot of relaxing at home and eating out trying new vegan options. I had a bit of the blahs feeling a little bad about not going out and celebrating it more, but I truthfully was not feeling it and happy to have more down time at home for projects and goofing off. I finally finished Super Mario Odyssey on the Switch which took me a crazy long time since I only play a little on the weekends. And sorted through more stuff at home. But mainly I just didn’t feel like doing too much in the heat.
Friday night we stepped out to Lou’s Sushi for dinner which is my new favorite place for vegan sushi! They have as many vegan rolls as they do non-vegan rolls and they’re all creative and fun, not your typical plain avocado or cucumber rolls.
I don’t know what took me so long to get there because it was amazing! We started with the Vegan Secret Tofu – crispy tofu chunks with a creamy center and perfectly tangy vegan mayo sauce.
Then got four vegan rolls from the menu wishing we could try them all. Each roll was uniquely delicious with torched asparagus, mushrooms, tempura, fresh sprouts, sriracha vegan mayo, spicy onion slaw, and so many great flavors in each roll. Already looking forward to going back soon.
On my birthday, sweet hubby surprised with with a fun display of gifts and flowers, I got a new book to read – Vodka is Vegan, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze for the Switch, a fun sign for my side of the garage, and new games and puzzles.
Then we headed back to midtown Sacramento for dinner at Hook & Ladder for their great vegan menu.
Hubby got the Impossible Burger which he loved and the crunchy, hearty fries that came with it. I got the House Cavatelli & Pesto for a fun treat.
For dessert we got the vegan house made peanut butter and chocolate fudge that can in two neatly wrapped bars for sharing. It was excellent, slightly sweet, rich, and savory.
And today I met my mom and sisters in East Sacramento for brunch at Evan’s Kitchen and Catering where the vegan menu does not disappoint. Evan’s is a fun place hidden in an antique mall and is always packed. For the vegan menu I was seriously torn between the Carrot Cake Pancakes, but decided on the Rice Crispy French Toast which was gorgeous!
Oh man, it was also amazing and decadent – a rare splurge for me! After we roamed midtown and hit Fleet Feet for new running shoes since I’ve been frustrated finding something that accommodates my odd feet with wide toe box and narrow heal. I tried on a lot, but found many just did not work and ended up with a sale pair of Brooks Glycerin 15 because the new 16s were too narrow. But it’s been a great long weekend and I’m a little sad to go back to work tomorrow, but also happy to get back to a healthy routine after so much decadent eating.
The list is pretty long this week, so many great vegan news links and so little time!
- Zen Habits has an inspirational piece on thriving in turbulence. I can relate to personal turbulence, especially in the last year dealing with anxieties and finding ways to channel that into growth and acknowledging how challenges have been affecting me is a skill I’d like to master.
- The plant based movement is growing to combat chronic disease. I love seeing more people passionate about promoting positive health changes.
- Another roundup of vegan athletes. I never get tired of seeing athletes embrace a plant based lifestyle for performance.
- Meat could mean Armageddon. It’s an alarming article, but the sad number of animals that are killed and what it’s doing to the environment is serious.
- No Meat Athlete is offering a free download for parents dealing with picky eaters.
- Freebirds Burrito is starting to offer Beyond Meat. This is great!
- I can’t wait to try Just Egg vegan egg alternative.
- This is an inspirational short film from Forks Over Knives on Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams reversing Type 2 diabetes. I love that he’s inspiring change in the community to protect others.
- Kevin Smith openly discusses his new vegan lifestyle after his heart attack.
- Vegan sources of calcium.
- Vegan BBQ is awesome.
- 7 great vegan options from Trader Joe’s. I need to get back there soon, wish I had one closer to home!
- This still makes me want Just Vegan Egg.