Leela is still adjusting to the new bed arrangement where I removed the pile of messy blankets and replaced with their cozy cave beds in front of the fireplace, she’s been cuddling up to hubby trying to get her blankets back.
I might cave and put the blankets back, but it nice having less bedding to maintain and constantly fold!
Smokey is loving the longer days for more sunbathing.
And I love a simple one pot quinoa dish for a busy weeknight, especially one blended with creamy split lentils, veggies, fresh herbs, and is oil free. I am using up the cilantro from our AeroGarden and decided to create a simple recipe using two of my favorite pantry staples – split red lentils and quinoa. And you can throw in any veggies you have on hand in place of the broccoli from frozen veggies, kale, cauliflower, etc.
Cilantro Quinoa & Lentils
- ½ cup quinoa, rinsed
- ½ cup split red lentils, rinsed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped (or veggies of choice)
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. cayenne (optional or less)
- 2 tbsp. miso paste
- 2 cups water
- Bring lentils, quinoa, miso paste, and water to boil over medium high heat.
- Reduce heat and stir in the rest of the ingredients.
- Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes stirring frequently.
- Serve and enjoy! Makes 2-4 servings.
I used a wok, but a medium pot is fine too.
The savory miso and herb flavors simmer into the quinoa and lentils nicely.
This recipe can be doubled for easy leftovers served chilled on top of salads, reheated, stirred into stews, etc.
Keep things easy and healthy during busy times with this recipe!