I am finally starting to feel “normal” again after over a week of the flu, but getting back to the gym has been tough with a cough still sticking around. The sweet chihuahuas have been very patient despite the lack of walks during my sick time and now rain, poor guys.
Smokey has been happy to have more company at home over the holidays.
I’ve had golden beets sitting in the fridge waiting to be used during the sick days and finally got around to doing that last night.
I created a simple, oil free recipe to roast them with lemon juice and fresh herbs that worked out very well with a roasted potato-like flavor and texture.
Roasted Oil Free Golden Beets
- 3-4 beets cut into 1” wedges
- 4 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. minced fresh herbs (I used rosemary and thyme)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees and toss all ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Spread beets out onto a baking pan with a non-stick baking mat.
- Roast for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy. Makes 4 servings.
They oozed a little and cleaning the non-stick mat was a project, but worth it!
The outer edges are crunchy with a tangy herb flavor while the middles are soft.
The flavor and texture did not seem earthy or gritty at all.
And the chihuahuas went gaga for these snapping little chunks from my hand – so they’re a good dog treat too!