Miko has been extra hungry lately perhaps from the cold weather, I caught him last night sneaking steamed spaghetti squash from Leela’s bowl.
I’m thankful they’re fans of healthy foods. And who says you can’t enjoy healthy foods as holiday treats? It’s been too long since I created raw vegan energy balls and these are perfect for fueling after a winter run or workout. They’re loaded with good fats, fiber, protein, and good carbs from hemp seeds and medjool dates. But have a playful sweet nog flavor for the holidays. And they can be enjoyed chilled from the fridge or right out of the freezer for an easy, energizing treat.
Raw Hemp Nog Energy Balls
- 2 cups shelled hemp seeds
- 1 ½ pitted medjool dates
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 ½ tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. salt
- Place hemp seeds, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt into a food processor fitted with the S blade and process until finely blended,
- Feed in vanilla extract and medjool dates while processor is running.
- Process until a dough-like texture is reached.
- Roll mixture into 1 – 1 ½” balls and chill for 8+ hours or freeze. Enjoy straight from the fridge or freezer for an energizing snack or dessert. Makes about 20 balls.
Rolling the gooey mixture is fun.
And once chilled, they take on a satisfyingly hearty texture that’s chewy with a sweet fudge-like nog flavor.
I keep a stash in the freezer next to frozen grapes for easy dessert. Or mid-morning snack.
Enjoy healthy holidays with this simple treat! And tomorrow is Friday, woohoo!