Guess what? It’s raining outside! Surprise, right? Our sunny day barely happened yesterday, it was overcast most of the day as the storm that’s plaguing today and tomorrow with rain moves in. But that’s okay, it means more snow in the mountains and we actually did not leave the house yesterday, instead playing in the kitchen most of the day. I loaded my dehydrator with many recipes to test and some actual success. However, there’s still room for improvement because I’m a noob at evenly spreading out cracker and tortilla batter. Practice makes perfect, right?
One of the recipes I did was for red pepper chips, one I got from a Mexican themed raw class a few months back and actually have the dehydrator capacity to try now :-) It involves blending 6 red peppers with ground flax seeds and spices, then spreading the mixture out on dehydrator trays to dry. I got to use my 32 oz. dry blade container for the Vita-mix to grind flax seed and discovered it works very well, I didn’t have to stop and stir once. I had to break out the 64 oz. container for the Vita-Mix and even that was not large enough, we had to blend in stages adding pepper chunks as they got blended down.
It made so much “batter”, that it used 4 trays in the Excalibur … though I probably could have got away with 3 because it was spread a bit thin in some areas.
Either the Excalibur non-stick sheets or parchment paper could be used, I tried both … well actually did not have a choice with only 2 Excalibur sheets :-P Using parchment paper was a challenge because it took a bit of effort and patience getting the sheets cut down to the tray size and they crinkle up in the dehydrator easily if not, causing ripples and cracks in the chips. I guess I need to make a trip to Excalibur to get more non-stick sheets.
The chips came out good and I have a large container of them in my pantry now, but there were a bit of a PITA. After about 6 hours of drying, the sheets need to be cut into chips which took awhile using a pizza roller, then flipped and dried until crispy. And getting the thickness just right is a challenge, some are too thin to support salsa while others are too thick and crunchy. I’m not a huge chip eater and would probably only do these for parties or when hubby is craving chips and salsa. Next time I’ll probably just try drying on one side and breaking the crispy, dried sheet into organic pieces instead of cutting sheets into chip shapes.
Anyway, I will post more on the rest of my kitchen experiments as soon as I’ve fully tested them, but now I need to clean my disaster of a kitchen!